View Single Post
still_crazy
Grand Poohbah
still_crazy has no updates.

5 yr Member
3,342 hugs
given
Default Mar 14, 2019 at 10:12 PM

i think it depends on the state, the funding levels, and how the system is set up. where i live, the state hospital covers relatively short term stays (30 days or less) and then they have what remains of the old place, for long term people and also the forensics cases (I think it covers both the not guilty by reason of insanity and the people who mentally ill but still guilty....they go in the state hospital 1st, then prison...fun, huh?)

anyway...not fun. ive heard 2nd and 3rd hand tales of lots of elecroshock and high dose antipsychotics. staff could not possibly care less. when i was in a private hospital, the staff there kept saying "better be glad you're not in the state hospital," and when patients acted up, the staff would ask "hey, how long have you been here, again?" because back then the private hospitals could have "severe cases" transferred to the state hospital. but that was then. now...

most of the old state hospital was sold off to a development firm. it was on some prime real estate. a lot of the patients were put on long acting antipsychotic shots out in the community, and the people who were deemed to require ongoing treatment were moved to wherever the state hospital is, now (I honestly don't know where the main, scary one is).

the state mental health agencies in my state officially run on "the recovery model." so, even the ngri cases are usually put on high dose drugs and moved out into the community after 4-6 months, unless its a high profile case or they really need to -not- be in society, for whatever reason. oh, and...there was a court case, where a dude who wanted to be let out wasn't let out, because his shrink @ the state hospital said he had a severe personality disorder that could not be effectively treated. i guess he pissed the shrinks off?

sorry to ramble. ive never been in one, personally. but...i go to an outpatient clinic, and when i ask the shrinks there about the state hospital, they get all vague and change the subject. hmmmm....
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote