View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Mar 15, 2019 at 09:52 AM

I have been prescribed Metformin by my psychiatrist for the last three years. While Metformin is a drug designed for Diabetes and blood sugar management, some psychiatrists have begun prescribing it in conjunction with Seroquel (Quetiapine).

I have A typical Depression. One of the identifiers of this type of Depression is a significant weight gain problem - 5lb or more a month while depressed.

Indeed, on taking this medication the weight gain came under control. It lowers blood sugar, it increases the metabolism, and suppresses appetite. However, there are some rather unpleasant side effects....

Most people who take Metformin complain of stomach cramping and bad diarrhea. I have lived with this since commencing the prescription these last several years. It gets worse from time to time. Never however has it been as bad as it has been these last few months. This is too much information I know but of late I have not been able to trust myself being away from a washroom for periods longer than an hour.

With the permission of my psychiatrist I stopped taking it six weeks ago. Guess what? I am constantly hungry, sleeping all the time (reduced metabolism likely the culprit), and my weight has begun to balloon again. And I mean balloon. I am always hungry and can't stop eating. I have gained 10lbs in this time period.

I am devastated. No I don't believe I ought to conform to society's slender ideal but I am really self-conscious about the noticable gain.

So I am left now with a decision to make..... is living with the side effects of the Metformin worth experiencing the benefits? Thoughts?
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote