View Single Post
Blue_Bird
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jun 2013
14.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 16, 2019 at 06:52 AM

I wouldn't call it "shopping" for medication either.

People should do their own research if they feel they want to in addition to what their doctor recommends and work together to come up with a plan/agreement for the best option of what to try or change.

Many doctors encourage patients to so some research, mine have and we discuss it. The doctor ultimately has the expertise in medicine and psychiatry but people sometimes know themselves and their own history a little better than whoever's treating them. I've had very bad experiences with doctors that just throw meds at you and don't even take in your opinion, actually ended up in the ICU for a week one time due to that.

It's definitely important to participate in your own care and advocate for yourself when necessary.

I can understand if you're referring to someone who goes to a doctor and tells the doctor a certain med they want, such as a controlled substance and that it's the only thing they are willing to take. That's a little different...

R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16

“All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” -St. Francis of Assisi
Blue_Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
IrisBloom, sarahsweets, still_crazy