View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 17, 2019 at 04:44 AM

Some people find that AA is not for them. Just because you didn't have anyone there share that they tried to kill themselves doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have known many many people from AA that have gone through periods of suicide and wanting to kill themselves but they don't always share it And I think it's hard to compare yourself to others. I was always told don't compare don't justify just listen. I was told to identify not compare. And the text that you referenced just talks about Mental disorders in the sense that it wants to acknowledge that they exist and the part where it talks about the capacity to be honest it just means that if you were honest about your drinking there is a chance for Hope and survival. It's easy to want to talk yourself out of something like AA. You don't identify so you start to pick a part those around you that are so different from yourself. If you just look at the bottom line which is you have a problem with alcohol and so do they, you can get a lot more out of these Meetings. At the same time AA isn't for everybody. No one is wrong for not liking AA or not finding it helpful. It’s about what works for you to stop drinking. I look at it like this : what is the worst that could happen? Maybe you stop drinking with AA or maybe you keep drinking. It's all about what you think you need to do to stop drinking.

Being new and walking into a meeting that you have never been to before is very overwhelming for anybody even somebody who has been in AA for a long time . I suggest you go to other meetings or even that one again and just listen for a while before you make your final opinion about AA. It can't possibly hurt you. Some people will say AA is too religious. I don't look at it that way because the God part that they talk about is very personal. If you run into anyone that is talking about religion in a specific sense just let it go in one ear and out the other because that is not what AA is about.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, MickeyCheeky, saidso, Tryingtobehappy5

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, Tryingtobehappy5