View Single Post
blvdknight34

Member Since Mar 2019
Default Mar 17, 2019 at 08:42 PM

Hello everyone,

Last Thursday, I quit my job of only two months. It was a major step up for me professionally and financially. I simply despised the commute, culture and nature of the work. I felt like I was dead when I was there. Just an immense, overwhelming sadness. On top of it, I suffer from GAD and occipital neuralgia and this situation made my symptoms so much worse.

I called in sick last Tuesday, Wednesday and was going to resign in person on Thursday by giving two weeks notice. However the thought of spending another day, let alone another two weeks during resignation, in this emotional state was simply too much. I ended up quitting over a phone call with my manager. I knew at the time it was a professional risk, but my mental state overpowered professional etiquette. The main point of leaving was to get myself mentally and physically healthy again.

I felt temporary relief not having to be there any longer. However, I am having MAJOR issues with the impact quitting suddenly, without two weeks notice, will have on my reputation. I live in a smaller town and work in a specialized field. I'm absolutely mortified about the impact this will have on my professional prospects in the future.

Ironically, I feel even worse now than when I was at the job. I was trying to help myself and now just made things so much worse. I want to bury my head in the sand and hide from the community. I haven't eaten much in the past four days and haven't been able to do anything but dwell on how I left things. I've contemplated even moving away but am not mentally or physically stable enough to do so.

I was considering writing an email to my old manager further explaining my situation but don't know if it's a good idea. I don't want people there to hate me for leaving them so suddenly. There might be a possibility paths could cross with my former colleagues.

I'm trying to be compassionate with myself and realize that I had to put my health before anything else. However, the professional fallout from this is almost impossible for me to accept. If anyone has any advice on this situation, I would be incredibly grateful.
blvdknight34 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
redCanine3669, tree7car