ken9018
Veteran Member

Member Since Nov 2016
395 hugs
given
Default Mar 17, 2019 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidso View Post
What do your treatment team think would be best for you at this point in your life? My friend's son was unable to do anything except play computer games for a year after his parents' divorce, and his counsellor suggested that he found a physical recreational activity that he liked. Amazingly enough - he had depression and ADHD - after some experiment he found that he passionately adored rock climbing - go figure! Even though he had to travel right across the city to a climbing wall, he found that he was fantastically enthusiastic about this activity... and then he made friends and his confidence and love of life came back.

Perhaps instead of forcing yourself to do something that has no meaning for you, you need to dedicate a year with your treatment team finding some activity which you can do and which you enjoy.

I studied computing when I was very depressed. I didn't pass the exam, but it was for work so mainly to get a feel for the breadth of the subject. I passed my university degree much later than most people - I was 30 - and despite being traumatised I worked hard and enjoyed the studying.

Unaluna knows more about computer science than I do - but seems to me that unless you enjoy some parts of the course then you and your dad need to admit that it's not for you at this moment in time. That acknowledgement in itself will be your challenge!

Just my opinion. Usually I tell people to push through rather than give up, but I think that right now you might need the faith to be honest with your dad and yourself. See whether you feel that challenging this idea of "educational/ career success" would be a better way forward???

That brings me to another question: what do you think is necessary for you to do at this stage in your life??? For me it was necessary to support myself financially and I had no choice about that. If you have a choice, then what do you honestly feel is necessary for you - this day, this month, this year???

Another question: will you dad still love you if you leave university? Can you both find enough love to take a leap of trust together? You will need someone wholeheartedly behind you.
My treatment team wants me to continue with my plan of getting help from a tutor. My doctor is very supportive and does not want me to drop out because he says I'm doing well at this point as far as not being bogged down by my mental illnesses like I once was before. Financially dropping out wouldn't be advised due to financial aid and scholarships. My dad will support whatever decision I make, he just wants me to healthy mentally, physically etc.
ken9018 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky, saidso, unaluna

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky