View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Mar 18, 2019 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohseedee View Post
I agree with sarahsweets - the term "narcissist" is very easily thrown around. I'm not saying that this individual is or isn't a narcissist (we only have a one-sided account about this person and I've never spoken with them), but it is a word that is easily thrown around to describe people.

Narcissism is a very trendy topic right now, with many articles being released about it. So of course the term "narcissist" and amateur diagnoses of NPD are more and more common these days.

Labels shouldn't be the primary focus here. This individual displayed some behaviour that you did not like and was incompatible with what you wanted. So it sounds like you two are not compatible for any sort of relationship, because you want your boundaries to be respected and he is not respectful of your boundaries. That's the primary focus.
With all due respect, both you and Sarah are wrong in this case. He definitely fits many of the traits that narcissists have. And labels are how we operate in society, so to say that labels shouldn't be the primary focus is very short-sighted. Labels are necessary.

To put it in terms you'd understand: how would you know what type of disease you have, unless your doctors have a label for it? You wouldn't know. How do you know which type of medication to take for which disease? Without a label? You wouldn't know, would you.

So, labels ARE necessary. It's how we function in society. We label everything. Without labels there is just chaos and disorder.

So, I am sorry but I think you and Sarah are so far off base, you're not even at the same game so to speak.

I do agree with your perception that I displayed boundaries he didn't want to respect. In that aspect, you are correct.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky