UpDownAround
Magnate

Member Since Jul 2017
493 hugs
given
Default Mar 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
One thing I believe is that if you don't enjoy what you're doing, it's unlikely you'll be able to sustain it. So I think the first thing here, to my way of thinking, is to find something you genuinely enjoy.
This, with a twist. What I found that I really love to do is SUP (stand up paddling). But that's a roughly 7 month activity where I am with a few really nice days in other months sprinkled in, but not enough to be my only exercise.

The twist is that motivation to be in good shape when I get back out again is one of the primary things that gets me into the gym. I do a lot of cardio to keep endurance up. I am not a huge fan of indoor cardio, but I do it to be ready for SUP, which I love to do. I binge watch Hulu or Netflix on my phone while doing cardio, I have to admit that vanity plays into it also; I am in the best shape I have been in for decades; I turned 60 with visible abs. I like being fit and trim enough to get in the gym and do the work.

I have arthritis in pretty much every joint. I have had both shoulders and one knee scoped in the last few years. One of the shoulders was done in January and I am still rehabbing it. On all of the surgeries the doctor took a picture of the arthritis in those joints on the way out as something of a disclaimer - they won't be pain free. I push through it and as I get the muscles stronger I have less trouble. Not a lot I can do about the hands, except put up with it unless it is really bad.

|And in the end it's only round and round
|
Pink Floyd - Us and Them
|
|bipolar II, substance use disorder, ADD
|lamictal, straterra
|
UpDownAround is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AspiringAuthor

Thanks for this!
AspiringAuthor