View Single Post
aimlesshiker

Member Since May 2018
58 hugs
given
Default Mar 18, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this, and I just need to vent.

I've been doing better than I've had in a while. I've been dealing with some relationship and mental health stuff for months that is FINALLY getting resolved. But all of those things have made it hard to keep up with things around the house.

I'm currently in housing provided by my job. I'm super grateful and can't complain about the house itself; it's beautiful and has all the necessities and more!

However, the person in charge of housing can be a little... critical and nit-picky. One day she sent a really harsh text saying I was being inconsiderate because I had left food out the night before, something I never do but, of course, forgot the one day she decides to visit the house. I also moved across states and brought all my stuff with me, so I've been struggling keeping everything in my room (it's a shared house, although in the winter months it's just me). I have art supplies in one of the common spaces since I, as part of my improved mental health, have gotten back into drawing and painting.

Anyways, it seems like every time I see her she's reminding me to make room for the other tenants when they arrive, clean the house, wipe the counters, take out the garbage... stuff I'm already doing, although some tasks are hard to keep up with since maintenance comes every week and tracks in mud and dirt from outside. My suspicion is that she thinks I normally am messy and untidy, as she saw the couple of times she's come in and of course, it's messy.

In the past few weeks especially I have been doing, at least in my opinion, my best job of cleaning the house. I make sure the kitchen is clean before going to bed, I made a chore list to check off every week, and finally put all my plants in nice pots. I feel so proud of myself for getting into better cleaning practices and creating a pleasant environment for myself to live in.

I respect my landlord communicating her standards of cleanliness to me. However, it's damaging to my self esteem when she's constantly reminding me to do basic stuff in a condescending tone. How do I gracefully accept her comments, because right now an email she sent this morning is making me feel like crap and distracting me from work. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to make excuses, I just need to not get so hung up on what she says.
aimlesshiker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949, Anonymous44076, Bill3, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
Bill3, MickeyCheeky