View Single Post
Anonymous46341
Anonymous46341 has no updates. Edit

Default Mar 18, 2019 at 12:55 PM

They told you to come at 11 am and then didn't expect you when you arrived on time? That's lousy of them! I also think they should have let you know what you were offered before giving away the other position. I'm sorry you have to deal with the Wal-Mart supervisor's lack of professionalism.

If your new job is just part-time and you applied for a full-time job, too, then I can't imagine they should be upset if you eventually apply for and get a different job elsewhere for better money/situation. I wouldn't tell them unless/until you got another job, or if you eventually get another job you could use that potential opportunity as a way of asking for a raise. I wonder why your boyfriend started at $1.25 more than you? Is he doing exactly the same work you're supposed to be doing? And same hours/time of day? That would seem to me to be a clear sign of how employers pay men more for the same work women do. That's not just.

I have read that Walmart is supposed to increase their starting pays in the near future. [I knew this before.] I think they're doing that for the same reason Amazon increased their minimum wages - pressure from politicians, like Bernie Sanders, for big corps to pay closer to a living wage. See Walmart to boost starting wage, give employees bonus after tax bill and Why Walmart Raised Its Wages - The Atlantic Note that the one article references the potential timing for these increases to start after the new tax laws go into effect, but don't get fooled into thinking the new tax laws inspired their announcement. Trickle down economics rarely works.The original pressure was for big corps like them to pay more of a living wage. Most say that should be $15 per hour, but Walmart's not there yet. Not all democrats are planning to push for $15, but many are. I don't know of any Republicans pushing to increase minimum wages, but I could be wrong, but most prominent Republicans are against raising them. Amazon eventually agreed to that raise to $15 and a few states have already put plans in place to do so (Minimum Wage Increases in 20 States in 2019 | Best States | US News ). I guess Walmart's planned increase is better than no increase, but hopefully things will get even better in the future. Also see Bernie Sanders: New Walmart paid leave policy not 'good enough' | TheHill

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Mar 18, 2019 at 01:37 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky