View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Mar 18, 2019 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopey View Post
I do, StreetcarBlanche.

Anything in particular you'd want to focus on?
Hi Mopey, yes definitely. With regards to friendships with narcissists, I've found that the friends I have or had in the past with narcissistic traits, often minimalized, trivalized, or outright shamed me when I tried to talk to them about problems I had with their behavior. And they also lack the ability to see things from other people's perspectives: they just won't or can't empathize with you. And everything is your fault, never theirs.

It seems like narcissists and codependents are attracted to each other like magnets. I definitely have codependent traits in me -- I am empathic, like to help others, and be a motivator or cheerleader. Yet, I often find myself being taken for granted by personalities who minimalize my feelings, trivialize my concerns, deflect away their accountability, and try to make me feel like I'm the crazy one when I know I'm not.

I'd like to focus on how to respond to narcissists who try to minimalize your feelings by calling you a drama queen, as a way to deflect the blame or attention on themselves. Or, try to make you seem like you're crazy for setting boundaries with them. Boundaries are a health way to socialize with people.
But narcissists don't like boundaries, b/c they have none. Or it seems like they have no boundaries to me. They are perfect in their own eyes, so if you call them out on something, they will deny it, and shame you for asking them to take ownership of their behavior when it negatively effects your life.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote