View Single Post
BudFox
Grand Magnate

Member Since Feb 2015
752 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 18, 2019 at 06:05 PM

I was in a situation like this. Was a perverse trap. Sharing my feelings resulted in a humiliating and bizarre unrequited love train wreck, and the therapist responded with typical ambiguity and equivocation and condescension. Not sharing the feelings and bottling them up would also have been unhealthy.

I suggest rather than thinking of this in terms of therapy dogma and marketing, use real life as a reference point. Then it starts to look toxic and bizarre to be locked in a non-mutual, dead-end, clinical, quasi-relationship with a paid voyeur who gawks at you while you divulge your feelings for him, building him up in the process, and possibly grinding yourself down in humiliating fashion. Usually this is framed as an obligatory process for working on your "issues" as long as the therapist "handles" your feelings. But this does not hold to up to logical scrutiny. It's much easier to make the case that it's a set up for all sorts of horrible feelings and possibly deep psychological wounding.
BudFox is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
autonoe, ForeverConfused