View Single Post
ajr1
ajr1 has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Mar 18, 2019 at 06:19 PM

Hi Everyone, Not sure if in the right section, I wanted to ask for any advice, support or opinions regarding my mother. She’s 70 and since xmas had started talking about the neighbour to the rear of her home she belives is shining lasers through her blinds. She even called the police telling them of the lasers.

She has no proof but believes strongly it is her neighbour, so ok. Its unlikely but rational as lasers have been in the news being used inappropriately. However, I become concerned when she talked about the lasers were burning her skin, that they are putting chemicals in her body, that her eyesight has been affected by them. (her eye sight is not great and i believe maybe a contributory factor with eye flashes, possibly some damage from the flu?)

I said let me stay with you and sleep on the floor, and soon as you see them at night wake me immediately so I can see the and where they are coming from, she doesn’t want me to do this. She says they will see me and won’t shine the lasers knowing I am here.

I also said well why don’t we set a video camera up in the room to record all night so you have evidence if needed it for the police. She says no as the neighbours will know about the camera and will come and get her. She goes on to say they have contacts all around the estate watching, and says they listen in on her calls.

She says as soon as I or anyone else leaves the lasers start to come through her blinds again. She also says when she stops at her friend’s house which is about 5 miles away, she saw the lasers there and believes drones have now followed her and that somehow she’s been tagged for the lasers to shine in to her at her friend’s house.

She’s suffered with mild anxiety and depression over the years, and could cope with everyday living, however the paranoia has started a few months ago. She says her GP said he believes her but would like someone to come to visit her to talk. I get the GP is at that time accepting her reality, avoiding any shock to her state of mind at that time and I believe it is a member of a mental health team planning to visit.

However my elderly mother is stubborn and proud, she is adamant there is nothing wrong with her and I know will just march anyone out of her home who tries to suggest mental health difficulties.

She displays psychotic behaviour, in this state her mind and memory becomes slightly fragmented and struggles to process her thoughts when in a state of paranoia. When she is not in this state can have a rational and meaningful conversation.

She currently copes by either sleeping it a room in her friend house, under her table or in her bathroom with a rubber mat over her, as she says the lasers don’t flash in these rooms, the rubber mat she says is to stop any radiation from the lasers burning her body. I expect you get a sense of what she’s going through without writing a longer story.

Its very hard to hear and see her behave in this way, to hear her talk in a reality that to her without any question of doubt is completely true and should not be denied.

I’m worried she wont accept any help and in time she finds her ways of coping wont be as effective, in turn struggling to find ways of coping anymore. She’s no risk to herself or others, but cannot help but consider how she will cope when or if coping methods begin to no longer be effective and if there is risk in the future to harm herself, even take her own life.

Shes even thinking of moving home to get away, but im worried if this was her choice and she still sees lasers that she may come to consider she can never escape them,

Ive even worried about what if she is sectioned? I know this will see her off. That for her is not a thought that would ever enter her mind.

Its early days and the paranoia affecting her daily living is not yet severe as she can live a normal life when not in this state.

So, I thought I would ask what things I can do? Or maybe what kind of mental health difficulties these behaviours might signify, whats going on with her that I can explore would be a condition? or whats a good way to support her.? I accept her reality in order not to challenge her to dent everything she has created a strong belief on, and at times tactfully suggest exploring what things are not contributory to whats happening as a way for her to entertain what facts are available to validate her experiences. But careful not to show I have a different belief as to her belief, otherwise will shut me out. Any help or opinions appreciated. Thank you.
ajr1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous44076

Thanks for this!
Skeezyks