View Single Post
Anonymous44076
Anonymous44076 has no updates. Edit

Default Mar 18, 2019 at 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken9018 View Post
This will probably be a long rant.
I just needed to put it all out there before I start crying.
I'm a junior studying computer science at a local university.
The school is no way one of the top schools for cs.
But yet I'm still struggling really bad. I'm only taking 3 classes
because they are all 4 credits each. Two classes I'm retaking because
I received a D grade in them and they don't allow D grades in major courses
linear algebra and data structures and algorithm analysis. I'm also taking a genetics course. I have missed some time in my data structures class due to illness. I'm registered with DSS at my school and for the most part they are pretty accommodating do have anxiety, ocd, depression and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. I'm being treated for all previous conditions.
However this semester, the data structures prof is not really helpful.
He stated multiple times that he will not repeat what hes done in class already and that I should just read the power points he posts. Even when I go to office hours he is extremely condescending to the point where he said
"I know you have your issue, but you need a lot of work to be successful in this class. Mentally I can't take anymore of his condescending during office hours so I've recently contacted possible tutors. But i'm really worried because my dad said that maybe computer science just is not for me because I cant seem to understand this material even the second time around. I cannot change my major because I'm too far along in it. Am I too incompetent for computer science? Or is it just my anxiety talking and I should stop worrying and just continue to study and do my best? Any and all advice is accepted, because I'm at my wits end at this point.
Sorry you're struggling Ken. I am wondering what you are working toward. Beyond the degree...what specific job do you wish to do? Have you done some informational interviewing and job-shadowing with people currently doing that job? I think that could be really useful...to see what a typical day or week on that job looks like...to know if that's what you want and if it's obtainable. You mentioned an attention deficit and OCD...do you feel that those would impact your ability to do the particular job you're interested in? For example, I'm not someone who would want to be stuck in a chair in front of a screen for much of the day at work. I like to move often and interact with others. But that's just me. I think it's really helpful to think of all the aspects of a job/career and a typical day when we weigh up what we want and choose a major.

You mentioned recent grades not going well. Was that just one tough semester? How were things going before? How were your grades in your first and second years of university?

You always have options. When we feel depressed, we can often feel stuck in a corner. But there is always more than one way to live your life. I wish you peace and a bright future!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
ken9018, MickeyCheeky