FriendlyJoe

Member Since Nov 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 19, 2019 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentus View Post
Anyone else struggle with the idea of sense of self? I mean I am who I am, but who am I? -- kind of a circular logic, but it makes a point. Are we the sum of the components that make us up or is there something more? You can define yourself based on your occupation, your interests, your family... in the south in a small town it's more common to say " I'm so and so's son/daughter" than it is to even use your own name. But who are you, really? there is a intimacy with that question I really love and hate at the same time...

you see -- I don't ever like the question of "who are you?" when asked in the sense of tell me about you. I don't know how to answer it. I don't know where to even begin. What is pertinent and what isn't. I know I am more than the pieces of my life (I'm a teacher, I'm a lover of language, I am a human male...) but I don't know how to bring those pieces together in a collective whole that ever sounds complete. I hope I'm making some sense here. I mean there are aspects of myself I'm finding I never thought I would. I'm doing, seeing, acting in ways I never thought possible... it's almost redefining me every moment , if I accept that idea of sense of self.

Anyone else ever really delved into the idea of who we are?
Yes and its quite common, at least for me. It's not that i dont have an identity or know who I am but more that I want to blend in and be part of my surroundings. I lived in LA and fit right in but I did things totally different that when I move to the midwest. I've always wanted to fit in and be like everyone else. I learned to fake it, but there was times I couldn't but I'd play it off I was sick and wasn't feeling good. Most people are irritated anyways when not feeling well so it was a perfect cover. I took out my rage against bullies and jerks. I stood up for those that couldn't because I know what it is to be different but I could hide it by lifting weights, playing every sport, learned to play 7 instruments. I played it off that I'm an extremely competitive person and I wanted to be the best. People don't understand people can be bipolar and they'll think damn that's one competitive dude. Everyone want to be my friend and voted me as class president then student council. I got to play a solo at a high time marching band at a USC and UCLA which for those that don't know its 2 rival universities in LA, California.

I ended up finding that I'm good at managing and not only good but I'm now an executive where I work and I'm over several different departments. I'm happy at work or more like a sense of gratification.

I know who I am but because of society I keep who I really am from everyone that knows and respects me. Everyone views the ones that cant control themselves and blows up at everyone or super depressed all the time and that's how 100% of bipolar people are. I'm 38 and only met a few like me and i can count them using just 1 hand. But even those arent exactly like me. We are individuals with our own personalities with same traits.

I enjoy pushing myself to the limits and then some. I tackle the most challenging tasks I can find. Simple tasks bore me and I'll assign that to the administrative assistant. I'm always looking for multiple hobbies to do. I love multitasking and being manic is almost 2nd nature.

The more you learn the more you change and get into new and interesting things. Just be careful that you'll learn more than your surroundings can let you. I became super depressed when I lived in the midwest. I couldn't find anything challenging and that would fill that void. I felt an emptiness and I was just wasting my life.

Everyone that I met had basically the same why that felt about things. And everyone has lost it completely as least once or more. I was taken in when I was younger a few times. I was at war with myself for many years now I'm only at war with myself when I start going to far into my mania. If I let it I cant control myself and it's like it takes control and I'm seeing my life as a dream almost.

Since I'm alway on the go and didnt want people to think I'm coked out. Had standup desks for everyone. They could sit all the time if they wantrd but I gave them the option to stand too. It worked and I'd go to different departments and they would stand and talk to me with they desks raised so I could see what the issue was that I needed to look into. I'd have situations where I would need to make quick decisions. I'm alway manic and if I dont keep it in check it'll take control. Having my job and what I do helps a lot. I'm able to release who I am in a positive, successful, and increasing revenue by promoting a productive workforce. Life to me is like chess, I want to win by creative and complex moves to win. I love to win.

[Hook: T-Pain]
All I do is win, win, win no matter what (What)
Got money on my mind, I can never get enough ('Nough)
And every time I step up in the building
Everybody hands go up
And they stay there (There), and they say yeah (Yeah)
And they stay there, up, down, up, down, up, down
'Cause all I do is win (Win), win (Win), win
And if you going in put your hands in the air, make 'em stay there
FriendlyJoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341