View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Mar 19, 2019 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennie View Post
Am I wrong for feeling upset when someone dismisses the emotional abuse I received saying,

"Other people have gone through much worse situations"? (Referring to physical abuse cases).

I do acknowledge that other people have gone through much worse situations.

What's difficult for me is that when some people treat it like it's nothing (like I'm just whining).
Absolutely not wrong in feeling upset when someone dismisses your experience with emotional abuse. The trick is to try to predetermine who to trust with that information. If someone invalidates your feelings, minimalizes your feelings when you share a sensitive personal story about your abuse history, you owe it to yourself to hold them accountable by telling them, "hey, what you said hurt my feelings." If they can't handle being held accountable, then they really aren't a good friend. Don't make excuses for these friends, who reject your need for emotional support.

I have to disagree with AB2371's advice to give your friends a break who reject you for sharing such private information, b/c they can't handle it. That's baloney. If they can't handle it, they are immature, self-absorbed people who totally lack empathy. They don't deserve your friendship if they are going to try to downplay or shame you for what you've gone through, b/c it makes them feel awkward or uncomfortable.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Albatross2008