Grand Poohbah

Member Since Apr 2015
1,667 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 19, 2019 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do believe that diet can affect mental health for sure. I do not believe that inherent things that have a genetic base such as bipolar or schizophrenia can be treated with diet and nutrition. Can diet affect basic depression or mood- I think that the ideas and theories behind this school of thought need to be up front about its efficacy and scope. I do not subscribe to the idea that there is a big conspiracy with the pharmaceutical industry that wants to squash anything that isn't a pill or that these companies want to drug us all for profit. The science just doesn't support that idea. Yes, drugs cost way more than they should and these companies want to make a profit and have great stocks and rich ceo's but if you take a look at some in the diet and health/supplement industry you will find that the objective is the same, just on a smaller scale. I think it could be dangerous telling people this using statistics that are either skewed, manufactured, cherry picked or manipulated one way or another because i think both industries have their positives and negatives. One of the issues with diet and nutrition is properly done studies. Anything science related will have double blind factors, placebo factors and a wide and adequate number of people included. And it would be able to be replicated by multiple scientists. Personally I think its going to be both that has the greatest impact on mental health. A healthy diet is good for anyone and especially good for anyone with an illness- mental or physical. Eating affects multiple areas of the brain aside from the very basic need to eat to live.
Presenting evidence in an unbiased way using independent persons or entities will be key to keeping anyone with an angle from influencing things to the advantage of their pet project. I am skeptical of any solution that completely excludes its main competition or ignores science. The other concern i have is that if people start to believe its their diet that causes or treats mental illnesses, then when a change is made and doesn't work I worry that people will start to blame themselves or pick a part their "mistakes" and indulge in self loathing or self blame as to why this type of intervention didn't work. The article I shared was interesting.

In ANY study they are going to use the evidence that fits their claims. I agree with a lot of what your article says, too.

Medications: Risperidone-1 mg.daily, Propranolol-20 mg. daily, Gabapentin-600 mg daily, Melatonin-3 mg. at bedtime, Nicotine Lozenges-2 mg., Vape Liquid-3 mg., One A Day Vitamins,
LucyD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote