Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2012
1,818 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 20, 2019 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisBloom View Post
First of all, you don't know how you will feel at 50. Old age has its own rewards.

When my older kids were small I thought I'd do myself in when the youngest turned 18. I had another baby when she was 13, so that plan went out the window. Then I started having grandkids and wanted to stick around to enjoy them. Also along the way I had a few health issues which I might have died from if not treated. I found that I very much did not want to die.

Now at 60, I sometimes feel that the best is past and there is nothing to look forward to, but I also know that you never know what tomorrow will bring. I am now in a good situation that I never dreamed would come my way.

I think your thinking and priorities will change through the years. Heck at 50 you're a half a century old! Something to be proud of! It's not all downhill after 50.

So to answer your question, you can set a date but I'd bet when the time comes you might feel differently.

I SO relate to this. Thanks for the post. I am 66...grandma...all those thoughts you had...I had...sometimes still do but...I try just to remember that dying is something we all do, I'm not going to miss it if I hang around, even if there are times when it feels all too painful for reasons I cannot even begin to explain (not being "rational")---also, the fact that my brother killed himself let me know just how devastating that is to others even if in the moment you truly believe it will be "better for them" or that no one cares or that you are too awful.....

winter4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
IrisBloom

Thanks for this!
IrisBloom