View Single Post
Anonymous48672
Anonymous48672 has no updates. Edit

Default Mar 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM

What I mean is, learn to recognize their verbal cues i.e. phrases or words, that tells me which type of verbal abuse they're attempting to use. I tried it with this guy, and recognized when he was blaming and deflecting. But I need to figure out how to shut them down whey they do this, so that I don't leave the conversation reeling from the verbal abuse anymore.

1. name calling
Example: “You idiot, now you have made me angry!”

2. condescension
Example: “No wonder you are always moaning about your weight, look how clean your plate is!”

3. manipulation
Example: “If you really loved me you wouldn’t say or do that.”

4. criticism
Example: “Why are you so disorganized? I can always count on you to ruin our nights out!”

5. demeaning
Examples: “You women, always crying stupid tears for nothing.”

6. threats
Examples:”I will hurt myself if you leave me tonight” or “If you don’t do that you might find that your cat spends the night outdoors!”

7. blaming
Examples: “You are the reason why we are never on time for anything!” or “Look what you made me do now!”

8. accusations
Examples: “I bet you are cheating on me!” or “I saw you had fun flirting with your boss again, while I was stuck chatting to your boring coworkers.”

9. the silent treatment
Example: You are discussing restaurant options and don’t want to go with your partner’s preference. They leave the room and refuse to talk to you until you apologize for being “mean.”

10. gaslighting
Examples: “Why are you always so sensitive to everything?”

11. circular arguments
Example: your partner constantly disagrees with you and starts another argument that's different than the one you're having, to distract you from finishing that first argument so you will just give up arguing with them about their toxic behavior.

15 Common Forms of Verbal Abuse in Relationships | Psychology Today
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949