View Single Post
SlumberKitty
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 22, 2019 at 01:40 PM

My kitty Esther is 13. We took her to the vet on Wednesday because I noticed she had been losing weight and had been drinking lots and lots of water. I had already suspected diabetes. The Vet freaked me out because he said it could be kidney failure!!! We had her at the vets for two and a half hours. It turns out it is diabetes. She also has a bladder infection. That explains why she has been urinating outside of her box when she's never ever done that before. So she had to start a special wet food diet of a special prescription only food (previously she free fed dry food and had a spoonful of wet food in the afternoon) twice a day, and then after she eats, wait 30 minutes and then give her an insulin shot. We also have to give her antibiotics for the infection. That's fun. I have to open her mouth and chuck the pill down her throat. It usually takes me two or three times but I get it down her. The insulin shots aren't too bad except she takes forever to eat. And she still isn't eating much. The insulin shot has a very small needle and so far I haven't had a problem giving her the shots, I'm not sure she really notices it. Only one time she mewed when I was giving it to her. I'm struggling to get her to eat (she's never been a great eater, more of a snacker). She's supposed to eat 2/3rds of a can in a day, and it's been two days and she is still on the first can. The vet had to order in some urine strips so we could test her blood sugar. I'm not sure how long it is going to take to get those in. I'm a little overwhelmed by everything. My kitty is used to having dry food and she keeps sitting on the counter where we feed her dry food and meowing. I might have to ask the doctor if there is a dry food option. Anyone else have a diabetic cat? Any tips from all you pet lovers out there? HUGS Kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Esther Baby.jpg (266.2 KB, 10 views)

Hugs from:
Anonymous59786, CepheidVariable, happysobercrafter, MickeyCheeky, Mopey, Taylor27, Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
happysobercrafter, MickeyCheeky