View Single Post
Anonymous46341
Anonymous46341 has no updates. Edit

Default Mar 23, 2019 at 09:00 AM

My b-i-l and nephew are hoarders, but neither have bipolar disorder. My sister (their wife, mother) does have bipolar disorder, but she does not hoard. She does have to live in the house, and unfortunately it does affect her life in negative ways. She doesn't even want me to visit her. She only visits me at my dad's or my home.

I would think that when mania ends, people not prone to hoarding that hyperspend would either return purchases or clean up/organize the messes. I would think that if they didn't it might reflect an additional mental disorder/tendency. Or lack of motivation from depression? Hoarding fits in the Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders section of the DSM-5. Comordid conditions definitely happen. On page 251 of the DSM-5, it says that "75% of individuals with hoarding disorder have comordid mood or anxiety disorder." The "most common comorbid conditions are major depressive disorder (up to 50% of the cases), social anxiety disorder (social phobia), and generalized anxiety disorder. Approximately 20% of individuals with hoarding disorder also have symptoms that meet the diagnostic criteria for OCD."

I hope your sister has made her psychiatrist and therapist aware of her hoarding tendencies so they can analyze its severity and actual causes.

I have no access to data on how many people with bipolar hoard. I do know that not all people with bipolar disorder have hyperspending as a major symptom, despite what is commonly portrayed. I know many people with bipolar disorder don't hoard. I know I don't hoard.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
lokiez, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
Innerzone, MickeyCheeky