View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate
The_little_didgee has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 23, 2019 at 11:26 AM

I got a job at a tooling company that makes tier 2 (automotive industry) stamping dies. The job is for 8 months. After that I return for my final two semesters of schooling. I'll be done the mechanical technician - tool making/tool and die program in August 2020.

The machine shop has changed my life by giving me direction. It has also helped me understand people and refine myself. E.g., time management and planning.

I have ASD and an overwhelming anxiety disorder. Employment seemed like a hopeless dream. I didn't seem to fit in anywhere. I tried a few jobs in retail. None of them worked out. Now I understand why. It wasn't a weakness or flaw in me. The industry was a poor fit for my personality. There is definitely no one-size-fits-all job. McDonald's even admitted that.

My life started to change while working with the clock maker. He introduced me to machining which was a big part of the job. I really enjoyed it, and looked into it further. The work fit my personality and strengths, so I decided to relocate to study tool making in southern Ontario. This has been the best decision I have made in my life, so far.

Psychiatry has told me that I wouldn't amount to anything and would live the rest of my life on ODSP. ********. I'm glad I never listened. I always had hope even through the very bleak times of my life.

Hugs from:
Anonymous45521, Anonymous48672, Anonymous49426, Anonymous55879, Ohseedee, redCanine3669, starryprince

Thanks for this!
healingme4me, hvert, Ohseedee, redCanine3669, starryprince