View Single Post
Anonymous43949

Default Mar 23, 2019 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbie View Post
How about people who continually interrupt and overtalk you? That's signaling that what you have to say isn't important.
Again, if that is accompanied with other abusive signs, that is probably what it means. I've met a non-abusive person who kept interrupting because she was hyperactive and couldn't regulate her behavior well.

My abuser was a good listener for the following reasons (this is from the article on Psychology Today):

"Let You Speak First to Establish Your Baseline and Look for Weaknesses

Many sales people do this when they prospect you. By asking you general and probing questions, they establish a baseline about your thinking and behavior, from which they can then evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. This type of questioning with hidden agenda can also occur at the workplace or in personal relationships."

14 Signs of Psychological and Emotional Manipulation | Psychology Today

Of course, not all good listeners are abusers. But I think if they are asking personal questions too early in the relationship, that could be a warning sign.

With interruptions, if they never interrupt others but only interrupt you; or if they are dismissive of your feelings, that's a big red flag. Usually, non-abusive people who interrupt apologizes later and say, "I'm sorry, I just get so excited sometimes." But an abusive person will have this big attitude and act as if he is entitled to interrupt you.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous48672

Thanks for this!
Albatross2008, Fuzzybear, may24