Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 24, 2019 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerleGirl View Post
Here’s why I’m frustrated. I make all the money. Especially with the new debt, it’s just not enough to live the lifestyle we want. It is enough to cover basic living expenses (we are in a relatively high cost of living area). So we are lucky there. He spends boatloads if money on Diet Pepsi, energy drinks, and cigars. Seems like not a big deal but it adds up and we can’t afford it. It never used to bother me that I was the breadwinner, but I have become annoyed since his business has cost us so much money. And he does NOT do much to help us save any. It is like pulling teeth to get him to cook, so I have to do all of it or we end up eating out a lot which we can’t afford. He doesn’t do laundry, and it’s so much effort just to get him to do basic household chores that it’s almost easier if I just do it! He’s gotten better but it’s still pretty awful. I am so frustrated that I have to make all the income, spend more than we can afford on cigars, and do 80 percent of the work maintaining the house and cooking. He just does not get it.
Are there any consequences to his actions when you run out of money or are severely strapped when he buys cigars and stuff? Have you stopped doing his laundry and other chores for him?I know that many people, myself included need consequences to propel change, what are his?
Quote:

It is even worse now because his business takes his energy so he can’t do fun things I want, and he has less energy to help with the house. Somehow I manage to work all day and still do things for the household but he is absolutely incapable or unwilling to do that. I love him, and I don’t want to get angry over petty things, but I just don’t understand how this is OK. We fight about finances a lot and we do make improvements but it just seems to go back to normal after a while. I am fine if he stays home, but he needs to watch the kid, do at least 50 percent of the cooking and housework if not more, and stop wasting money to make our budget work.
You are not being petty at all, he needs to know this is beyond you being irritated, this is a big thing, You can not do it all on your own. He is a father and its not just your job to care for your child- its a two parent deal. I still think there needs to be some sort of natural consequence to not doing the things he is supposed to do.
Quote:
He has stayed home before and it just did not work out and I’m afraid that’ll happen again. I feel like I’ve just leaned to live with this stuff that makes me unhappy and I don’t know what to do.

Why are things like this, what can I do to make it better?
You do not need to keep "living with it" or keep the peace. He needs to know that you will not participate in his choices. He needs to do his own laundry and anything else in the house that you do for him needs to stop. Including even meals. Anything you can do to make his current choices not work. What about marriage counseling? Who's name is associated with the major financial stuff?

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky