View Single Post
Gymgirl71

Member Since Jan 2015
6 hugs
given
Attention Mar 25, 2019 at 08:16 AM

I am dealing with what I believe is a “functioning alcoholic” I love my boyfriend, but I don’t think I’m doing him any favors by supporting/enabling his drinking habits. Don’t get me wrong, he works hard all week so Friday/Saturday is understandable. We have our date night one night on the weekend, and then the other he hangs out with his buddy/buddies. He doesn’t frequent bars, maybe every month-month and a half so it doesn’t bother me. He was actually trying to live a healthy lifestyle by not drinking on a work night and this made me happy. Well, lately he has been drinking during the week one day (that I’m aware of) and then he drinks all weekend Friday-Sunday. I am concerned, because I know he is dealing with work stress by drinking..I will reach out to him after a night of drinking and now he’s putting his drinking as a priority by saying he needs “Me Time” he has career goals, wants to get married etc. He doesn’t realize he is sabotaging any chance of happiness. He is slowly making me distance myself from him. I am no longer going to prioritize communicating with him and accepting his drinking behaviors as normal..unfortunately I know how this works. He needs to hit rock bottom with no one to catch him. You can bet his drinking buddies won’t be there...I read something online called detachment
Gymgirl71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky