View Single Post
Anonymous40127

Default Mar 25, 2019 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohseedee View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm 27 years old today and instead of being happy, I'm thinking about how slow my progress in life has been compared to my similarly aged peers.

I'm currently a full-time college student who will be graduating from a two-year program in Social Service Work this May. Afterwards I'll be going to university to continue my studies. I won't get my university degree until I'm at least 30. Meanwhile, many of my peers from high school already have their Masters degrees.

I spent much of my young adulthood in and out of the hospital for mental health issues, so I'm starting late. I just feel...inadequate. I had so much potential before these mental health issues came and delayed my progress.

I should be proud of how far I've come and what I'm doing, but instead I'm comparing myself to others who have done so much more by this age.

Can anyone relate to feeling behind in life?
First of all, you're not inadequate. This is not just my opinion, it's a scientific fact. You are not inadequate

My peers are of same age as me, some are ahead of me while most are in my boat. How can I transit from being an average student to an extraordinary student who eventually will become an even more extraordinary scientist?

The answer is hard work. Most of my friends failed in inorganic chemistry exam, while I started studying only three days before the exam, and with some resources (smart work) I was able to write answer to about 65% of the questions, meaning I will get around 50% in my report card.

That, too is average and nowhere near close becoming an extraordinary scientist. But you know what makes it so special for me? I failed the last time I gave the exam, I did not even know the difference between an orbit (Bohr's concept) and an orbital (modern concept) But now, I was able to write the theoretical part of Born-Haber cycle of sodium chloride to calculate its lattice energy.

Of course, it was because I let my chemistry knowledge rust ever since I started studying it and all I ever wanted to do was medicine and I wasn't aware that inorganic or physical chemistry are as important as organic chemistry. It was partly because of incomplete curriculum and partly my own ignorance.

But now, I plan to do a PhD in quantum physics. I will write a book on classical mechanics within next three years (it'll take me two years to improve myself and finish my BSc degree and one year to actually write the book) My inspiration is Lord Kelvin, who wrote a research paper at the age of 16. (That's how I remember it anyway)

I want to do research in quantum physics so I can satisfy my own scientific curiosity. Of course I am a bit unstable and I have my own demons, I change a lot and that may be a sign I have a personality disorder, whatever. But I won't let the odds stop me, just like how Dr.Hawking said.

Don't listen to anyone or any force but your heart. Do what you enjoy. Work hard. Achieve success. Simple as that.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Ohseedee

Thanks for this!
Ohseedee