Magnate

Member Since Jan 2016
272 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 25, 2019 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
I think it takes courage to look at yourself, rather than being in denial about who you are and what you need to do to improve your life. I think it also takes courage to walk away from something that is not working for you. These things can both be therapy, or something else. For me therapy has been useful in confronting my childhood abuse and finding ways to move forward in my life to make it more of what I want.

On the good client, I don't think my T would put me in that category, except I show up and I pay. And I have good insurance. But I don't hesitate to tell him when I think he's gotten it wrong, I say what is on my mind without being afraid of his reaction. I also consider his responses and sometimes find a small window into which I can see how to think about something differently in a way that is useful to me, as therapy is a learning experience and an opportunity to try to be more open minded, even if I do not end up changing anything, I find the exercise interesting.

Do you want to post what books you are actually reading?
That was well said.

I also tell my T when he doesn’t get it. Then, I look for ways to try to work with whatever is happening at the time.

Some of the books that I’m reading are:

Someone To Talk To: What really happens in therapy and how to make it work for you

Getting the most from your therapy

Making Therapy Work

How We Grow and Heal

40 Ways to Unlock Your Therapy Process

How to succeed in Therapy

I’m working on it in therapy
hopealwayz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Anne2.0