Thread: Antidepressants
View Single Post
still_crazy
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2016
3,342 hugs
given
Default Mar 26, 2019 at 08:54 AM

some of the newest round...fetzima, trintellix...are supposed to be easier to tolerate with some benefits older ones don't have (I think its trintellix that's supposed to help w/ cognitive processing, if that's a problem for you during depressive phases...), but they do tend to be $$$ and, of course...

taking very new drugs is a risk for the person/patient and a bit of one for the prescriber, too; its often not until 10, 15 years post-marketing that a drug's -real- adverse effect profile can be accurately determined.

with the more established antidepressants...i personally opt for wellbutrin. not the best if you're on edge with agitation, but...its basically a very mild stimulant, with a lot less of the emotional numbing that one gets from antidepressants. its not -without- emotional numbing, but for me...10x better than ssri, ssnri.

not all depression is treated with antidepressants. there's lamictal...antiseizure drug if you get lots of episodes...xanax/xanax xr, if you have a friendly shrink and have lots of anxiety...now and then stimulants, although there's cardio risks and psychosis, now and then...

provigil or nuvigil, if you have excellent insurance...

so, it really depends on the psych doc and what you can tolerate, also...honestly...on how much you're paying the shrink. not to sound too cynical, but...one way to make shrinks be nicer to you, even if they accept your insurance, is to pay cash for the session. true story. in many areas, there are psychiatrists who don't accept anything but self-pay...they're obviously in it for $$$$, but...they have less attitude and such.

i hope things go well for you. :-)
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
piggy momma