Thread: Mentor
View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Mar 26, 2019 at 02:24 PM

Would 'peer support' qualify? I've done this a few times as part of moderating a support group in the past.

I do however mentor outside of the mental health community. I have volunteered for the Open Door Society and a literacy foundation. I really enjoyed the first. It is a society set up to support refugees with helping them transition to living their lives in Canada. It involved sometimes inviting them over as I hosted a dinner so as they could have the opportunity to see how we who have always lived here do something as simple as prepare a traditional meal. Even such things as witnessing a dog's place as a pet in the home was new - and a little scary - for some of these new Canadians. I also would take my assigned families grocery shopping and on other errands so as they could learn how it is done here. What are the English terms and alternatives for the ingredients they are used to. Even showing a family around their new kitchen and how to operate the stove was of importance. So too, taking them to register their children in public school and helping with the fears some of them had about doing so. There was also a social component to being a volunteer as sometimes 'work' was simply enjoying a coffee so as these new Canadians could practice and improve their English skills. This has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my life. Some have become long term friends - all of whom are now leading constructive and successful new lives.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Fuzzybear