Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2010
3,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 27, 2019 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
Trying a different tack here: Being "triggered" can mean any time the nervous system responds to stimuli or an event with fight, flight, fawn or freeze response. Your fearful/anxious state is definitely a state of being triggered, because your nervous system is activated. An anxiety attack or a flashback is a more "obvious" state of being triggered.
Not being triggered is any time a person's nervous system is calm, relaxed, non-aroused, non-reactive.

It is very possible for people to become accustomed to living in a perpetual state of fight or flight or fawn or freeze, or to bounce around between them with very little time spent with a calm and rested (safe) non-aroused nervous system. I did that for most of my life. Now I am learning to stay within a window of tolerance as much as I can, and get better at it all the time. It takes a lot of work.

My Ts job as a trauma T is to help me find and stay in that window. Your T will want to do that too. Its hard when you first start, when you don't know "safe".
Thanks AmyJay, I think what you are saying is what most closely matches what I will hear from T when we talk about it. Even started reading it in his voice by the end. Still a far different definition than what I thought he meant when he said it. But, I threw it out here because I was quickly getting the idea from T that my idea was different than his but we had not gotten around to clarify it yet.

Wild eyed with fear
-Blackmoores Night
Omers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote