View Single Post
Anne2.0
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 27, 2019 at 08:58 AM

I have never been attracted to a therapist who said they practiced CBT, but I think there are more thoughtful and reflective versions of CBT that I find more kinship with, especially after I read a book based on some of the underlying CBT "beliefs." What is called "Radical Acceptance" (see book by author Tara Brach) may be what you're after.

I very much dislike interviewing T's, every one of the 4 times I've done it, the number of therapists I don't click with or who don't seem promising in any way (like I couldn't stand to be in the room with them, even if it was a free consultation) is overwhelming to me. The best way I've found therapists in my relatively small city is to ask people for recommendations-- if I don't want to disclose it's for me, I describe it as being for a client or a colleague or a neighbor (all of which have been true at various points). You can also just ask, "do you know of any therapist around who would be good for someone looking for dealing with family of origin issues?" (I don't see financial problems as a specialty per se). You don't have to say it's for you. I'm sorry that you are experiencing current day difficulties, and I hope things improve.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote