View Single Post
TheNightWhistle

Member Since Mar 2019
44 hugs
given
Default Mar 28, 2019 at 03:09 PM

Sometimes people simply don't understand and need an education on the subject. Explain your diagnosis and what it entails, and you can even explain that it's hard for you to disclose that to somebody because of peoples' biases or judgments.

You might also want to be more careful about who you disclose this information to. People unfortunately can be judgmental, so it's best to reserve that information for people you're close to. I remember I had a coworker who was bipolar, and shared it with every staff member of the school we worked in. People would say things like, "she shouldn't work here because it's too much of an emotional job for someone like her", "she's not actually bipolar, she just says that so she can get more time off than the rest of us", and would avoid inviting her to staff outings and stuff. I personally thought she was hilarious and was my favorite coworker, but I think she would've saved herself a lot of grief if she reserved that information for more trustworthy people that are closer to her.

On the other hand, you might be misinterpreting what people say as judgment. Sometimes when we disclose information that's deeply personal, we automatically go into defense mode, ready to retaliate against any personal attack that might come our way after saying it, and that might cause us to misinterpret peoples' responses as attacks. I don't know the exact situation you're referring to, so I can only make assumptions. Can you give an example of a recent situation where you felt judged?

Anyway, I hope that helps a little bit

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
Fuzzybear, MickeyCheeky, MuseumGhost