DP_2017
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2017
665 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 31, 2019 at 04:53 PM

Hey
It's good to see someone who is like me, I don't attach to people really. I did with my long term therapist but It was hugely because our relationship more or less turned into a friendship. Anyway... when I started to "feel" it... I hid it from him, I just said that I liked that we had a bond... and he replied using the term "Strong attachment" and I felt so stupid.
After that, he had told me a few times that I was his most strongly attached. He was fine with it.

With the current one, 0 attachment and it's fantastic. He checks in with me each session to see how I'm doing it with because I told him I am quitting if it happens. I wont go through it again.

That being said.... first, you sound like it's very much a secure attachment and that's great! The best kind. Therapists are used to this happening so it's ok to bring it up. Typically the only time it might freak some of them out is if it's sexual related.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to have this as a goal in therapy. It is literal hell. Just do your best to keep things from escalating. Try not to make the relationship a huge part of your therapy. It gets to be very distracting from your other needs. I hope it goes well.

Thanks for this!
Omers