View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,330 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 01, 2019 at 01:56 AM

Yeah, he's got oodles of them. When he was independent and self-managing, I too thought he was on top of his meds. He had med boxes and pill cutters and crushers and seemed to have a nice little system. Boy was I deluded. I found him having spells of very low blood pressure. I watched him self-administer meds one day and discovered he was taking 4 times the prescribed dosage of BP medication. Then I further audited what he was doing. It was total chaos. Med bottles containing multiple different pills, various shapes and colors, mingled in together. Taking several dosages of the same med. Still using meds that had been discontinued, along with what replaced them. Using bottles past expiration date. Omitting some meds. He had become absolutely clueless about what to take when. But he was a busy beaver, moving pills from one bottle to another and filling up the compartments of his "pill-minder" boxes and consolidating half-empty containers of pills, pouring what was left in one container into another half-empty container, nevermind that they weren't the same med. I think he arranged the pill-minder boxes based on what colors looked good together. But, if you saw him deftly shuffling tablets around, he seemed to know what he was about . . . until one actually paid attention. By the time you realize that someone has dementia, they've had it for more than a little while.

So I now have all his meds sorted into those week's worth boxes with 28 compartments. He gets what I give him 4 times a day. It's a bunch. Even when I'm depressed, I feel I must not screw up his med regimen. But I've become indifferent to my own meds, except the ones that noticeably impact my mood right away. I can't seem to care.

Well, I texted his family today that I am likely going to take advantage of the respite program for family caregivers. I can call a few facilities tomorrow and maybe visit one or two. I'll notify his VA social worker tomorrow that I'm looking around. All these people have been telling me for a couple of years that I should take some time off. If I don't arrange this myself, I may wind up becoming unglued and, then, someone else will arrange it. I don't think becoming an unhinged, babbling idiot who just can't cope anymore is really what I want to reduce myself to.

I'm sleepy now. Tomorrow is another day.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Crypts_Of_The_Mind, MickeyCheeky, saidso, unaluna

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky