lizardlady
Legendary

Member Since Nov 2002
7,517 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 03, 2019 at 05:42 AM

I'm thinking of changing my name to "Someone."

Staff at the school where I'm based found a litter of itty-bitty kittens Monday. It seemed like the mother might have abandoned them. (I wondered if the mom was staying away because so many people were coming to look at the babies.) Anyway, all afternoon people kept saying "Someone should take them home to care for them." then they'd look at me. Well, call me "Someone" We waited to see if the mother would come back after the kids left for the day. No. Then it started to rain. I knew there was no way the babies would make it through the night in the cold and rain so I packed 'em up and brought 'em home (after stopping to buy formula and bottles)

There were three, but one was very weak when I got them home. She didn't make it through the night. The other two seem to be doing ok. They are eating, peeing and pooping.

When I said these are itty-bittys I meant it. They look to be a few days old. Their eyes are still closed and they have stumps on their belly buttons. I've raised orphaned kittens before, but not any this young.

Before anyone fusses at me for bringing them home I normally would have left them for the mama to come back to, but a) she'd been gone about six hours, b) it was starting to rain and they did not have shelter and c) staff was going to take them to animal control where they would've been put down.

I thought I'd post about the ongoing saga.

They are being bottle fed every 2-3 hours. I wipe their little b-hinds after they eat to stimulate peeing and pooping. Mom cats normally do this for babies. They spent most of yesterday wrapped in a towel and tucked inside my shirt to stay warm. I was able to work from home yesterday so could tend to them here. I have to go to the office today so I'm going to smuggle them in.

I always said I'd never be able to foster because I would not be able to let the little ones go. I'm working hard not to become attached to these guys, but suspect that's going to be a losing battle. Please send positive thoughts. Losing the first one that first night was sad, but I kind of expected it. It's really going to hurt if I lose one of the remaining two.
lizardlady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous49426, bluekoi, happysobercrafter

Thanks for this!
bluekoi, happysobercrafter