View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Apr 03, 2019 at 08:04 PM

Hello cashlak: Thank you for bringing your concern here to PC. I see this is your first post here. So... welcome to Psych Central.

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult struggle with your mother. Based on what you wrote I would have to say, personally, that you've done all you can do & more. Your mother's situation is really a job for professionals at this point, in my opinion.

My suggestion would be that you reach out to the applicable human services branches of county & state government to seek help for your mother. You might also want to contact any not-for-profit social services agencies that might be in a position to provide services.

It may take some intensive telephone work to ferret out the right agency to work with your mom. But you just have to keep calling people. (I've done this a few times myself over the years.) Each time you talk to someone, if they can't be of help, ask for the names & phone numbers of other government offices, not-for-profit agencies, & the like who may be able to help. Then call them over-&-over until you find someone who can help. It can be time consuming & frustrating too. But, as I wrote above, I think the time may well have come to turn as much of your mom's care as possible over to professionals. At least this is my perspective.

I see you list yourself as being in Texas. I don't know what is available there in terms of human services. But, from what you describe, it sounds to me like your mom's condition has deteriorated to a point where it is beyond your ability to intervene successfully. Plus, at 22, you have your own life to live. And it's high time you had the opportunity to get on with it.

Here's a link to an article by our host Dr. John Grohol, Psy.D., from Psych Central's archives, that (hopefully) may be of some help in putting your mother's situation into perspective:

Denial is a Powerful Impediment to Treatment

I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
cashlak

Thanks for this!
Blknblu, cashlak