sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

sarahsweets has no updates.

5 yr Member
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 10, 2019 at 03:30 AM

I was thinking about this the other day. I think maybe the answer is yes? An example for me would be: I am not a sexist person but I still find myself assuming Doctors must be male. If I speak in general about an unknown doctor or hear a friend talk about their condition and doctor I may say "what does he think?" Or if I call an office to say I was referred there I may say "I was referred to him because my primary told me to go". The same thing happens sometimes with other professions for me.

The implicit bias doesn't have to be about gender. It can be race or other assumptions about mental illness or anything. I do not know how to fix it. I try and get clarification about the gender thing if I am writing but I have to work at it, it doesn't come naturally. What do you all think? Is it possible to engage in the world in any meaningful sense and not have implicit bias's? Especially when it comes to contentious topics-can they be discussed without someone showing implicit bias? How do you work on not having it?

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Anonymous49426