View Single Post
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 11, 2019 at 07:57 AM

I don't struggle with it.....just the way things are...but I can sure have fun with it.

Lol....men typically think of women as unknowing & a little helpless (ok....I am 66 so my growing up years had totally different but transitioning mentality compared to today). This happened in the new little town I moved to alone on a little farm I bought when I was 54. No one here knew me nor my past nor what my career had been. It was actually fun to see guys kinda cringe when they talked down to me or tried to BS me about things. Then I started replying technically how wrong they were. Obviously my computer engineering career came up & watching them "eat crow" had it's entertaining moments.....we always parted as friends & they learner that women do know more than they ever imagined & I doubt they ever did it again (it is a learning & experience thing to change bias)

Along the line of gender.....all the wild animals I can't identify gender of get the he label because IT is not an "IT". Mommy coon became "she" AFTER she brought her 5 babies to dinner.

In the past.....most alive beings whose gender was not known were referred to as "he" until you got to actually meet & know their actual gender. That is because at least in English there is no personal pronouns to specify "unknown yet" & I just hate IT because it is totally impersonal & I feel depersonalizes live beings. I would rather get it wrong & correct than I would to depersonalize....I am ok with it happening to me. I don't see it as a bias but as a tradition that keeps going because really there is no better option.

Another thought on this.....I know that experiences we have definitely create bias. Like my mothers choice to refuse going into a nursing home when that is where she needed to be caused us BOTH to go through a trauma dealing with the evil home care person. After that I have sworn I would NEVER put my daughter through what my mom put me through with her closed minded thinking.....yep....that created my biased thinking in favor of nursing homes

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote