Member Since Mar 2009
884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 11, 2019 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTrees View Post
Hi folks,

PC is the only form of social media I have ever used. I hear a lot of talk in the world about "trolling" and "internet trolls." I did some basic reading on the topic and would like to learn more.

How do you define trolling? What would be some examples of internet trolling?

Are there strategies to prevent trolling?

How should a person respond if they feel they are being trolled?

My mother told me a story about a young boy being trolled by someone in another country, a grown man pretending to be an adolescent, who tormented the poor boy so much that he ended his life. It's obviously a very sad topic but seems to be pertinent to mental health.

Would following a member around on PC....each time they create a new thread, creating duplicate threads in order to post passive-aggressive public comments about being on their Ignore list and "not allowed" to respond to the threads...would that count as trolling?

Have you ever been trolled and would like to share your truth?

Have you ever educated children or adolescents about trolling and ways to deal with it? What did you advise?
there are many definitions of trolling. each location, culture and what have you have their own definitions...

here where I am trolling is purposely following someone on a website and posting to their posts things that purposely set out to anger and irritate them, contradicting them, attempting to start fights with them, just because their views are not the same as your own. this can also include trying to pull others into this negative behavior ie innocent bystanders seeing the troller going after a member and then trying to help ends up splitting the boards members into having to choose sides for the troller or for the one being attacked.

here on psych central this kind of thing is not allowed. in short everyone posts from their own points of view and if you dont agree you move on, or place the person on ignore list and report the offending post.

its ok to disagree but its not ok to constantly go after each other and each others posts.

I think of trolling the same as stalking.

if you find that members here are stalking and trolling your posts (constantly going after your posts in negative ways, picking fights with you, .... instead of accepting your views may be different then their own...) you can report them and their offending posts by way of a report button (report button is usually a red triangle to the left of the post where you find the info on who wrote the post) the moderators will take it from there and deal with the situation privately.

and you can place that member on your ignore list by clicking on their name, which brings them to their profile, then click on the words "user lists" then select the one that says add to ignore list.

Last edited by CANDC; Apr 11, 2019 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: add report button icon
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
happysobercrafter

Thanks for this!
happysobercrafter, Sunflower123