Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 13, 2019 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnester View Post
I never had it. My ECT treatments were in 1995 before TMS came out. I think putting people under and making them have a seizure is crazy. Alot of the times when people die in surgery its because of anesthesia. Being put under every other day 8 times was terrifying for me. It was supposed to be more but I refused more. They make you watch a video before you do it and you sign a waiver saying you know there can be fatal complications. Not for me. I would never do it again. It shows me how little mental health treatments have come. It used to be done without anesthesia and they would put you in a full blown seizure. Now it is done with anesthia and they put you in a really light seizure. Still how midevil is that?
No one wants to have ECT. People with serious, unrelenting depression not only need something like ECT sometimes, but they often don't have another choice. And while it may conjure up barbaric scenes from the past in which people have induced seizures, why does that matter? I think it's more important that it is effective in treating severe depressive states. I understand your experience may have been negative, but that's no reason to denounce ECT.
WastingAsparagus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote