Grand Magnate

Member Since Mar 2019
4,300 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 14, 2019 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
My physical complaints right now are fatigue/lethargy, being overweight, and high cholesterol, triglycerides, and slightly elevated glucose levels. I think lowering my Seroquel XR would help with all three. The problem is that my mood rebels against lowering my Seroquel XR. Spring, in particular, makes lowering my antipsychotic difficult.

I have used MyFitnessPal, too. I like it. When I am in the right place, mentally and with my medications, I am a pretty good dieter. But when not, it seems next to impossible. At high Seroquel XR doses and with fatigue/mood issues I can occasionally have issues with binging, but I don't have a binge eating disorder. It's just intermittent. But, I often struggle with eating a bit too much and eating foods a lot that I should really limit.

My psychiatrist mentioned trying me on metformin or switching antipsychotics. The latter is especially scary since though I do complain about Seroquel XR, it has helped keep me out of the hospital for eight years. It is also otherwise not that bad side-effect wise. It is possible I might have been my current weight even without medications. Being overweight (or even obese) is pretty common in my family. Much of time, I've actually been one of the trimmer members of my family. Or appeared so. An issue I deal with with weight is an unusual one. I tend to see myself as much trimmer than my weight indicates. Some of that is perception.

An initial goal for me would be to lose 10 lbs. That would get me back to a weight I can often maintain for a while. Then, 12 additional lbs lost would get me to the highest weight in my normal BMI range. At that weight, I look pretty trim. I am not petite. I am big boned and have some muscle tone leftover from my dancing days. I tend to "wear" my weight evenly throughout my body. Getting back to the next clothes size lower would give me many more options in my wardrobe.

I would love accountability here and to give support to others regarding weight loss or other physical issues.
The thought of switching antipsychotics scared me too. I was on Risperdal and my doc is weaning me off and onto Geodon. It is going well so far, but I am nervous for the final transition this Friday where I'll only be on the Geodon.

The accountability is key. It is so easy to self talk yourself into one more cookie!
fern46 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Jedi67, MickeyCheeky, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, Wild Coyote