View Single Post
Seqoya

Member Since May 2015
23 hugs
given
Default Apr 14, 2019 at 11:11 PM

Lithium which I take has helped a lot of people in the US since 1970 but you need to have blood tests periodically to monitor your Lithium levels. Hopefully, they'll do that consistently there. He'll also need to have other things checked sometimes.

Rexulti is a newer med that has helped me with my Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type Schizoaffective Disorder is when a person has symptoms of a mood disorder along with prominent elements of Schizophrenia. The mood disorder can be either major depression or bipolar. There's also Bipolar with Psychotic Features and Major Depression with Psychotic Features but although those have similarities with Schizoaffective disorder there are also differences.

Anyway, Lithium like Lamictal/Lamotrigine is a mood stabilizer that can treat the depression and mania or hypomania (hypomania means not full mania a more moderate form of mania which is what people with type 2 have) Medications like Abilify, Rexulti and Geodon are a type of anti-psychotic which can also sometimes be used when there isn't psychosis they can sometimes help with other things.

Sometimes people with Bipolar or Schizoaffective Disorder might need an antidepressant ALONG with other medication but some people with Bipolar can't take antidepressants. I take Lexapro.

Sometimes it takes time to find the right medication for you and the right dosage of a particular medication so please don't give up.

Oh, remember if you take Lithium it helps to eat something or have a glass of milk with it at least when you first start for your stomach.

Also the meds I mentioned don't work for everyone. I'm not a medical professional. I hope this message helps and that you and your brother in law find something that helps.
Seqoya is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote