View Single Post
ArtleyWilkins
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2018
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM

I learned that I have many people I can rely on for support outside of therapy. One of the goals my therapist had for me was to rejoin my past activities and add others so that I could develop those relationships with others and that association with supportive groups of individuals. Once I finally did that, I found I really had much more support than I had realized because I had isolated myself a great deal while I was in therapy and struggling.

I've realized I can handle what life throws at me. Since I left therapy, life hasn't been a bed of roses: Mom passed away; husband has had probably 12 surgeries, etc. etc. etc. I don't fall apart anymore. I don't spiral into depression. I have the internal skills to cope with stress and crises (and the support system needed to help me get through). I have pretty normal responses to crises, and I work through those events in healthy ways now.

I've realized I can be my own best advocate. I can set healthy, flexible boundaries that protect me from harm yet allow for relationship. I don't have to wear my armour anymore.

I've realized I'm stronger than I gave myself credit for.

I've realized I am really pretty content with my life. That's a nice place to be.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty, Taylor27

Thanks for this!
koru_kiwi