View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 15, 2019 at 03:03 PM

The whole way income is calculated for things like SSDI, food stamps, welfare etc is crap. They havent updated the official "poverty" guidelines in like 50 years. In NJ we have the highest property taxes, highest car insurance and highest population density. I know we would qualify for something if those guidelines were updated. I also get disability and my husband works but we are hanging on to the bottom of the middle class (not that there is a middle class anymore). We have gone through some trying times though. We monitor everything we spend and we do not use credit cards. We paid our house off only because we bought it for cheap. So If I need new shoes, I stash some money in an envelope until I have enough. I shop sales and use coupons. In fact I almost never buy anything that isn't a deal or without a coupon, rewards etc. I recommend the envelop system if you are able to not dip into it. I have envelopes for groceries, things I want, things we need, etc. We are always saving for something. Currently we are remodeling and I need new tires. The tires are about 350$ and we do all the remodel work ourselves but because we buy when we have a chunk the remodel happens in stages. Right now we are saving for lumber because the room is ready to be framed. I guess what I am saying is try and prioritize and plan. Easier said then done, I know.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, MickeyCheeky, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, unaluna