View Single Post
Amyjay
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2017
692 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 15, 2019 at 07:38 PM

I have had therapy on and off for many many years and I can count on one hand the number of times a tear rolled down my cheek in a session. Even then it would have been a single, silent tear that was quickly wiped away. I suppose my eyes might have "brimmed with tears" more times than that, but even that has been a seldom occurrence.
So in my situation my therapist would be thrilled if I out and out cried.

Personally I would love to be able to experience emotion freely in therapy, we have certainly cried many swimming pools full of tears in solitude over the course of life.
But I doubt we will ever feel safe enough to freely feel emotion in the presence of another human being. The handful of times when a tear has accidentally spilled out it has quickly been mopped up, swept under the carpet and made "gone" again.

So I guess people in therapy have different goals for different reasons. Some might need to work to contain emotion while others might work towards expressing it.

Maybe for you in that last instant your therapist was counting not-crying as a sign of good work in therapy. That doesn't mean she was right or that that was one of your goals. Maybe it was just a flippant comment gone wrong.
Amyjay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
DP_2017, WarmFuzzySocks