Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 15, 2019 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
So I guess people in therapy have different goals for different reasons. Some might need to work to contain emotion while others might work towards expressing it.

Maybe for you in that last instant your therapist was counting not-crying as a sign of good work in therapy. That doesn't mean she was right or that that was one of your goals.
I agree with both of these points. For me, being able to cry in session felt like progress because I had trouble accessing and tolerating my emotions (I was much more likely to try to laugh it off). I also had difficulty trusting another person to be vulnerable enough to cry in front of them. I cry more often than not in session now, and I feel fairly comfortable with it. Sometimes my tears catch me off guard, and then it's useful to stop for a minute and ask myself why whatever I'm talking about is provoking more emotion than I had expected.

But sometimes if I can talk about a certain upsetting thing for the second or third or tenth time and not cry, that can be useful to notice because it indicates that I am handling the thing better and am feeling less distressed by it. It's not really my goal to cry less, though, because I don't think there is anything wrong with crying.

It's hard to know what your T meant by her comment, if anything. I sense that maybe you feel a bit judged? Since you're still thinking about it now, it seems like our might be worth talking about with her.
ElectricManatee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
DP_2017, LonesomeTonight, WarmFuzzySocks