Xynesthesia2
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2019
55 hugs
given
Default Apr 16, 2019 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
And what if going to therapy, for many of us, in not about believing somebody else "knows any better than you," but rather, we use therapy as a space where we have another willing person who will listen, help us perhaps find a way toward our own "realization" of "adulthood"? Most people don't go to therapy to "accept subjugation;" we've already been the victims of subjugation throughout our childhoods (generally), and therapy is a pathway beyond that experience of childhood subjugation into our own personal insight and adult autonomy.
I don't think Budfox's post implied it is true for everyone. Just like not everyone experienced subjugation/abuse/serious trauma in childhood. I never believed that a therapist would know better what is best for me, I was mostly curious whether therapy could add anything to the self-exploration I already do habitually by default. Or if it could help to change some destructive adult habits. Very minimal benefit overall and it just became another distracting habit, so I quit and experienced the benefit of eliminating useless energy and effort. There are many reasons people go to therapy for and also many reasons for quitting. I personally never perceived a therapist as an authority of any kind. One of them did try to dominate me, that is true... but it was much more his issue than anything else, so some Ts do play sick power games. Never had the same with my other T who was much healthier mentally in many ways.
Xynesthesia2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote