Grand Magnate

Member Since Feb 2015
752 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 16, 2019 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
And what if going to therapy, for many of us, in not about believing somebody else "knows any better than you," but rather, we use therapy as a space where we have another willing person who will listen, help us perhaps find a way toward our own "realization" of "adulthood"? Most people don't go to therapy to "accept subjugation;" we've already been the victims of subjugation throughout our childhoods (generally), and therapy is a pathway beyond that experience of childhood subjugation into our own personal insight and adult autonomy.
From what i've seen, a meaningful number of therapy relationships are hierarchical and fear-based. Clients give up some of their dignity and power in order to "get help" and begin taking subtle forms of abuse in order not to be cut off from the supply of reassurance or alleged insight. Not saying it's always that way.

I found it was a Wizard of Oz thing... look behind the curtain and see that therapists are just as stupid and broken as everyone else. It's just an act. And i saw clearly how i'd been groveling for their phony wisdom.
BudFox is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today, koru_kiwi, missbella