View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Apr 18, 2019 at 07:40 AM

I have certainly had anger issues throughout my life, but I don't consider myself an angry type person in general. In fact, I am more upbeat and happy go lucky. My anger has mostly been linked to my bipolar disorder, associated anxiety issues, and general sensitivity. My medications help, but definitely don't do the whole job at preventing it. CBT has been quite helpful for me, more than any other type of therapy. If you have a therapist, ask to explore anger management.

The hard part for me in controlling my anger is impulsivity. If something triggers it on the spot like a lightning bolt, it can be hard for me not to react immediately. I call it a "Boom! Boom!" effect. Usually I feel an instant adrenaline rush. I've learned to identify that feeling, and with practice/insight, take a "time out" (a few breaths) before reacting. In that brief time, I can sometimes find a flicker of reason, the adrenaline rush starts to decrease, and a more appropriate reaction may come to my mind. Sometimes. As for anger that is a "stewing type", I try to use techniques to challenge the thoughts and deescalate/rectify them in a more diplomatic way. "OK, Bird Dancer, what is a more appropriate response that helps resolve the issue without exacerbating it? How can I find relief without causing harm to X?"

Anger is not a horrible thing completely. It's just how you manage it.

Most people in my family were prone to anger outbursts, too. I think it can be a partially learned (or reinforced) behavior. It's good to explore that.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Apr 18, 2019 at 08:12 AM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky, yellow_fleurs

Thanks for this!
fern46, MickeyCheeky, yellow_fleurs