View Single Post
susannahsays
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM

What was the context in which this was said? It seems like a strange thing for a therapist to say, so I am just curious. Not trying to grill you or anything.

I think it's up to you to decide whether or not you're a good match, not him. Did you feel rejected when he suggested you might not be? In my experience, psychiatrists are not very warm and fuzzy, and they don't really emphasize "the relationship" as a vehicle for therapeutic change the way that many therapists do. Of course, that is not an absolute rule and I am speaking about psychiatrists in the US who almost all stick to med management and don't do therapy. Does your therapist do therapy with anybody else, or are you a special case he was taking on?

I do agree with Echos that you aren't going to be able to change his fundamental way of working by providing evidence that what you want would be helpful.

You seemed happy with him before (apart from some hiccups), so maybe his words hurt but don't actually mean he isn't a good therapist for you. That's just an idea, and may be wrong.

Hugs from:
nsonkiss

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, Middlemarcher, precaryous, SlumberKitty